A Small Campus that is BIG on Student Engagement

I am Randi Teplitz, the Assistant Dean of Students at Widener Law Commonwealth.  I am so pleased to write this post so I can brag about our campus community, and most importantly the students who make our law school such a special place. 

I am fortunate that I get to work directly with our students on a daily basis. Because of this, I get to witness both their passion towards the law and their education, as well as, the compassion and generosity that they regularly show each other. Law school can be a competitive environment that inhibits the forming of friendships and the building of meaningful community. However, that is not who we are. I am proud to say that is not the culture of Widener Law Commonwealth.

Our students help each other. They recognize the value of lifting each other up, rather than tearing each other down. Upperclassmen mentor the 1Ls, they serve as peer advisors, Academic Support Fellows, and are always willing to offer their wisdom by participating in student panel discussions, recording podcasts, or by blogging. Time is a limited commodity as a law student, but our students always make time for each other.

Our students also lead active and robust student organizations. Are you interested in Law & Government, Business Law, Criminal Law, or Environmental Law? We have the organization for you! Looking for something more social? Check out the Student Bar Association or the Program for Health, Exercise & Wellness (PHEW). Passionate about community service? The Public Interest Law Society will be right up your alley. Ready to tackle social justice and inclusivity issues? Join the Black Law Students Association (BLSA), Latin American Law Students Association (LALSA), the Asian Pacific American Law Student Association (APALSA), or the Women’s Law Caucus! These are just SOME of the organizations that we have on our campus and if we do not have it–CREATE it.

At Widener Law Commonwealth, we offer a small personalized environment that is BIG on student engagement.

I have the best job in the world because I get to work with our amazing students. I can’t wait for you to meet them!