Tips to Make the Most of your Internship

By Erika Firestone (3L)

Whether you work for a law firm, a government agency, or a district attorney, internships are an excellent opportunity to gain practical knowledge and experience that places law school within the context of reality. I’m entering my third year of school and thus far I’ve had the opportunity to intern at the State Ethics Commission, with a Federal Judge, and for a large regional law firm. Here are a few of the tips I’ve gathered along the way.

Buddy up with an associate or newer attorney.

As a law firm summer associate, I’ve saved my own skin a few times by reaching out with “dumb” questions I have to associate attorneys. They were in the role of intern not so long ago and can remember how daunting it can be to start a job and not know tiny things that can make a big difference, like whether an assigning attorney prefers WestLaw or Lexis. They can help you navigate institutional practices, relations with partners, and more.

Get to know the support staff.

Paralegals and legal assistants are the backbone of the legal practice and your greatest resource at any new workplace. They can show you where the copier and the lunchroom are, how to locate certain documents, where to find letter templates, etc. It’s likely that your supervisor will also be paying close attention to how you treat support staff, although kindness is always the best approach regardless.

Ask a TON of questions.

You are at an internship to learn more than you are to provide the organization with valuable work, and they know that. Do not spend too much time struggling over something you don’t understand. I am someone who loves to knock on open doors and ask questions as often as I can. Not only has this helped me learn so much more than I could have on my own, but it helps to develop stronger relationships with the attorneys in your work place.

Let them know what you’re interested in.

If you go into a law firm knowing that you loved your family law course, ask if you can take extra assignments from the family law attorneys. If you really have an interest in litigation, ask if you can observe court as often as possible. You have more control over your experience than you think and your supervisors will be glad to watch you develop specific interests given the vastness that is the law.

Own up to your mistakes and learn from them.

My single greatest piece of advice is to never make excuses for making mistakes at work. They happen all of the time, and chances are your supervisors have made some pretty big ones througout their careers. Own up to it and ask how you can do better in the future. You likely won’t make the same mistake twice.